Sunday, July 30, 2006

It's All Really in Your Head

Perseverance is a virtue. It's a pain in the ass...but a virtue nonetheless. Fortunately, it is a virtue that I have.

I signed up for a 10 mile race today instead of the 5K because my best friend talked me into it. It started at 8 a.m. and it was about 84 degrees with 95% humidity when it started. It was horrible. At the 5K turnaround, I was thisclose to turning around and calling it a day at three miles. But I persevered and kept going. My next mental obstacle was at the three mile marker. I told myself if I turned around after three, I'd have done six miles and that would be something too. But I persevered and finished the 10 miles. The sweat was just sitting on my body. It was horrible.

I so prefer running in the cold.

2 comments:

Dogeared said...

I misunderstood your post on SD1 then, I thought you'd stopped and walked the second half - well done!

Elaine said...

Oh, you didn't misunderstand Helen. I did walk the second half....my point was that I finished when I desperately wanted to quit. Sorry for the confusion!